Michael J. Woods
Mr. Woods graduated from the University of Florida in 2000 with a B.A. in Political Science. In 2004, he received a Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. While in law school, Mr. Woods earned a book award in Trial Practice and honors for Appellate Advocacy, later becoming a teaching assistant for Legal Research and Writing as well as Appellate Advocacy. He also served as Justice of the Fletcher Chapter of Phi Alpha Delta. During law school, Mr. Woods worked for two years as a clerk for the University of Florida Office of the Vice President and General Counsel.
Mr. Woods joined the firm in 2005 and became a partner in 2011. Mr. Woods focuses his practice on all manner of residential and commercial property development, with a focus on the entitlement process and public/private partnerships related to same. Mr. Woods supervises the application process, addresses neighborhood concerns, and represents his clients at public hearings before multiple local governments.
Within the firm, Mr. Woods has coordinated the summer associate and recruiting program and has served as the chair of the IT Committee. Within the community, Mr. Woods has served in a leadership capacity for many professional and charitable organizations. Presently he serves on the board of directors for Advent Health DeLand and the North Central Florida Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, where he is the current Chair. Mr. Woods also volunteers at the national level with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, regularly participating in the annual Cystic Fibrosis Foundation March on the Hill, meeting with congressional leadership in Washington D.C., and attending the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s Volunteer Leadership Conference, having represented the local chapter on the Leadership Council in 2015.
Mr. Woods holds an AV rating, the highest rating obtainable by an attorney from Martindale-Hubbell, an international database that provides information for lawyer referrals.
Areas of Practice
- Land Use and Zoning
- Environmental Law
- State, Local, Municipal Law
- Florida, 2004
Honors and Awards
- 40 Under 40 – Volusia/Flagler Business Report, 2015
- Corporate Leadership Award – Central Florida Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2014
- President’s Award – DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce, 2014
- Young Business Leader – Volusia/Flagler Business Report, 2010
- Rising Star – Florida Super Lawyers, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Administrative Law
- City, County & Local Government Law
- Enviormental & Land Use Law
- Government Law
- Volusia County Bar Association (President 2014-2015)
- Volusia County Association for Responsible Development (VCARD)
- DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce (President, 2013-2014)
- Volusia County Bar Association (President, 2014-2015)
- West Volusia Young Professionals Group (Chair, 2009-2010)
- Leadership Daytona, Class XXX (2010)
- North Central Florida Chapter (Chair, 2015-2016 & 2020-present)
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – CFF Cycle for Life Charity Bike Ride (Chair 2018-present)
- Advent Health DeLand Board of Directors, 2018-present
- Chair of The House Next Door Board of Directors 2008-2009