Michael J. Woods
Mr. Woods graduated from the University of Florida in 2000 with a B.A. in Political Science. In 2004, he received a Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. While in law school, Mr. Woods earned a book award in Trial Practice and honors for Appellate Advocacy, later becoming a teaching assistant for Legal Research and Writing as well as Appellate Advocacy. He also served as Justice of the Fletcher Chapter of Phi Alpha Delta. During law school Mr. Woods worked for two years as a clerk for the University of Florida Office of the Vice President and General Counsel.
Upon his return to Volusia County, Mr. Woods became very active in the community, having served as president or chair of the DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce, the Volusia County Bar Association, the House Next Door, and establishing the West Volusia Young Professionals Group. He is also very active at the local, state and national level with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Mr. Woods’ work requires frequent appearances before multiple county and municipal governments in Volusia and Flagler counties.
Mr. Woods holds an AV rating, the highest rating obtainable by an attorney from Martindale-Hubbell, an international database that provides information for lawyer referrals.
Areas of Practice
- Land Use and Zoning 70%
- Administrative 10%
- Environmental Law 5%
- State, Local, Municipal Law 15%
- Florida, 2004
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- J.D. – 2004
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Florida
- B.A – 2000
- Major: Political Science
- Assisted C. Allen Watts with the update of “Impact Fees in Florida”, Florida Environmental and Land Use Law Section Treatise, June 2008 and June 2010.
- With Mark A. Watts, drafted update of “Legal Authority to Establish Stormwater Utilities,” Establishing a Stormwater Utility in Florida, Florida Stormwater Association, 2013 Edition
Honors and Awards
- 40 Under 40 – Volusia/Flagler Business Report, 2015
- Corporate Leadership Award – Central Florida Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2014
- President’s Award – DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce, 2014
- Young Business Leader – Volusia/Flagler Business Report, 2010
- Rising Star – Florida Super Lawyers, 2010
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – Central Florida Chapter (Chair, 2015-2016 & 2020-2021)
- Advent Health DeLand Board of Directors, 2018
- DeLand Area Chamber of Commerce (President, 2013-2014)
- Volusia County Bar Association (President, 2014-2015)
- West Volusia Young Professionals Group (Chair, 2009-2010)
- The House Next Door Board of Directors (Chair, 2008-2009)
- Leadership Daytona, Class XXX (2010)
- Volusia County Association for Responsible Development (VCARD)